How do I get permission to publish public records?

If you wish to publish a public record either in hardcopy (e.g. a book) or digital format (including online) permission must be sought from the copyright owner. Public Record Office Victoria can grant permission to publish Crown copyright material, which comprises of the majority of records in the collection. Be aware however, that files may contain material which is either administered by other government agencies or is privately owned.

To seek permission by PROV to publish records, please submit a Request for permission to re-use a record. You must include details about the citation of each record you want to publish (series, unit and item) and as best you can identify the government authority (department, statutory authority etc) who created the record.

You will be informed if PROV cannot grant permission because the records are not Crown copyright. However PROV cannot undertake to find copyright owners on your behalf.

If you receive permission to publish from PROV then you can publish the record/s in any other publications that are of a non-commercial nature. However, for any publications which are commercial in nature, you must reapply to receive permission from PROV for that particular publication.

For further information about copyright and our collection see Copyright for researchers.