Koorie Reference Service
A dedicated Koorie Reference Officer provides free confidential advice and assistance for Aboriginal family history researchers. In particular, we aim to help members and descendants of the Stolen Generations, as well as case workers and agencies accessing records on behalf of Aboriginal clients.
We can undertake searches into some parts of the collections on your behalf, and/or provide guidance and support for you undertake your own research.
The Koorie Reference Service provides the following confidential services for Aboriginal people:
- undertake research of Aboriginal names indexes, which cover many (but not all) of the records about Aboriginal people held at Public Record Office Victoria and the National Archives of Australia
- undertake research of some key family history resources, including will and probate records; birth, death and marriage indexes, and inquests for example
- provide copies of results of searches undertaken
- provide copies on request of relevant open access records found free of charge
- provide information and referrals where records are closed or where access is to be sought via another agency
- provide guidance and advice on further resources appropriate to your family history research.
Services we are unable to provide
- extensive family history research. See our Aboriginal Victorians family history guide for more information and advice
- research on behalf of individuals interested in Aboriginal history and culture
- proof and confirmation of Aboriginality
- provide advice on personal, legal, financial or related matters.
To enquire about our services or to contact the Koorie Reference Officer email firstname.lastname@example.org