We are redesigning our catalogue. To take a sneak peek click on the slider to the right, search and order your records and send us some feedback. You can also order records as normal via this site below. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
If you are looking for a particular person it may be helpful to know what organisation or branch they worked for as employment records are not in one place. Otherwise, it is always helpful to know the rough dates and locations of events.
How do I search?
About these records
We have records from several tram companies that were merged to form the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) in the early 1920s, and records of the MMTB. We also have some records of the regional tram lines in Ballarat, Geelong and Bendigo.
Who created these records?
We have a page for each of these organisations, where you can see a list of the records we hold:
- Melbourne Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited 1877 – 1919 (VA 2976)
- Melbourne Tramways Trust 1884 – 1916 (VA 2692)
- North Melbourne Electric Tramways and Lighting Company 1904 – 1922 (VA 2974)
- Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust 1907 – 1920 (VA 2977)
- Hawthorn Tramways Trust 1914 – 1920 (VA 2978)
- Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Tramways 1914 – 1920 (VA 2971)
- Fitzroy, Northcote and Preston Tramways Trust 1915 – 1920 (VA 2972)
- Footscray Tramways Trust 1916 – 1920 (VA 2973)
- Northcote Municipality Cable Tramways 1916-1920 (VA 520)
- Tramways Board 1916 – 1919 (VA 2693)
- Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board 1919 – 1983 (VA 2694)
- Metropolitan Transit Authority 1983 – 1989 (VA 1044)
- Public Transport Corporation 1989 – 2003 (VA 2984).
What are in these records?
These are generally administrative records of the various companies and trusts:
- most of the business of these agencies is conducted through letters (correspondence), which will document decisions and agreements within and between companies
- you may also find registers of employees or wages
- you will generally find bound copies of minutes of meetings.
State trusts and boards generally had to prepare an annual report to the Victorian Parliament. Sometimes copies of these reports end up in the records, but you can always find copies in the bound volumes of ‘Papers tabled before Parliament’. These volumes can be found digitised on the Parliament of Victoria website.