What do I need to know?
- the address of the building
- the application number
Note: If you think the construction took place before 1916, read the page on Notices of Intention to Build. Records of applications from around 1961 on are still held by the City of Melbourne.
How do I search?
How to find the Application Number?
- Look at the Melbourne Building Application Index (City of Melbourne) 1916-1993 on Ancestry.com.au or
- Use this link for free Reading Room Access Only
- Browse by street name from the drop down menu at the top e.g. 'Beckett - Bourke'
- Find your property address (on card tab) and note down the application number.
How to find the plans?
Type in the application number below.
About these records
The Local Government Act 1915 allowed local governments to create by-laws regulating building construction in their municipality. Our collection contains plans and correspondence relating to over 60,000 applications to build in the City of Melbourne between 1916 and 1960.
What are in these records?
The building plans submitted by a building owner and any correspondence exchanged with the City of Melbourne in the course of submitting an application to build.